An Indian minister at the centre of a #MeToo storm announced his resignation on Wednesday and insisted that the sexual harassment allegation charges against him by nearly two dozen women were not true.
M.J. Akbar was a junior foreign minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government.
Accusations against Akbar began last week after journalist Priya Ramani accused him of inappropriate behaviour when the two worked together back in the 90s.
He dismissed the accusations on Sunday and the following day said he would sue Ramani for defamation.
Twenty other women have since come up and offered to testify against him.
“Since I have decided to seek justice in a court of law in my personal capacity, I deem it appropriate to step down from office and challenge false accusations against me,” Akbar said in a Wednesday statement.
#MeToo movement has made headlines in India over the last few days with women sharing accounts of alleged harassment by several powerful men including Bollywood filmmakers, news editors and comedians.