Israel launches new strikes on Gaza as calls for ceasefire grow

World

Jerusalem – Israel conducted dozens of air strikes on the Gaza Strip on Monday, after Palestinian militants fired barrages of rockets at southern Israeli cities.

The pre-dawn raids on Gaza were some of the heaviest seen since the fighting began a week ago.

Israel said it hit facilities belonging to the militant group Hamas and several commanders’ homes, but main roads and power lines were also damaged.

Meanwhile, international calls for a ceasefire continue to mount.

The UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on Sunday, and Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that further fighting had “the potential to unleash an uncontainable security and humanitarian crisis”.

Guterres pleaded for an immediate end to the “utterly appalling” violence.

Officials in Gaza said Sunday had been the deadliest day of the flare-up so far. Israeli air strikes hit a busy street in Gaza just after midnight, causing at least three buildings to collapse.

Emergency workers spent the day trying to rescue people from under the debris. Gazan officials later said 42 people, including 16 women and 10 children, had died in the air strikes.

The UN has also warned of fuel shortages in Gaza which could lead to hospitals and other facilities losing power.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.