Minneapolis – The former Minneapolis police officer charged with murder in the death of George Floyd posted bail on Wednesday and was released from jail, leading Minnesota’s governor to activate the National Guard to help keep the peace in the event of protest.
Court documents revealed that Derek Chauvin posted a $1 million (around R16.6 million) bond and was released from the state’s facility in Oak Park Heights, where he had been detained. Hennepin County jail records show he was released shortly before 11:30am.
Floyd, a black man in handcuffs, died May 25 after Chauvin, a white policeman, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for several minutes as Floyd said he couldn’t breathe.
Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter; Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are charged with aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and manslaughter.
Floyd’s aunt, Angela Harrelson, said she was still trying to process the news.
“It’s something that I’m not happy with. I’m not pleased with it. But I know I have to accept it because this is what the judge allowed to happen. … I know our family is not happy with this decision,” said Harrelson.
It was not immediately clear where Chauvin got the money to pay his bond.