For the first time since being accused of rape, Cristiano Ronaldo defended himself against the allegation and said on Monday he is confident the truth will come out in the case.
Ronaldo has been accused of rape in the United States. Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit last month in Nevada claiming Ronaldo raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Police also reopened an investigation into the allegation at her request.
Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter S. Christiansen, issued a statement on Oct. 10 denying the allegations made against his client.
“I’m not going to lie in this situation,” Ronaldo said at a news conference ahead of a Champions League match between his Italian team, Juventus, and former club Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday. “I’m very happy. My lawyers, they are confident and of course I am, too. The most important, is I enjoy the football, I enjoy my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life.
“Of course, the truth is always coming in the first position.”
Previously, Ronaldo had confronted the allegations in an Instagram video posted on the 3rd of October after the suit was filed.
“Fake. Fake news,” the five-time world player of the year said at that time.
The soccer player’s lawyer has branded documents that led to media reports about the rape claim “complete fabrications” and asserted that the encounter in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse bedroom was consensual. Attorneys for Mayorga have challenged Ronaldo’s legal team to prove that documents are false.
Asked about his status as a soccer role model, the 33-year-old Ronaldo said Monday: “I know I am an example. I know, 100 percent. On the pitch and outside the pitch. So I am always smiling, I am happy man. I’m blessed that I play in a fantastic club, I have a fantastic family, I have four kids, I am healthy. I have everything.”
“So the rest, it doesn’t interfere on me,” he added, before saying with a smile: “I’m very, very well.”