Cape Town – Stormers coach John Dobson has expressed confidence that the franchise will hold onto its big-name players in the coming days, including 2019 World Rugby Player of the Year, Pieter-Step du Toit.
There has been interest in South African players from overseas clubs. A 21-day window that was agreed upon by the SA Rugby Industry, MyPlayers and the South African Rugby Employers’ Organisation (SAREO) last month in which all professional players were given three weeks -until 14 May – to get out of their current contracts with their respective unions and sign with UK, France, and Japanese clubs in particular.
There was a story interest in Du Toit from a number of clubs.
Dobson has spoken with Du Toit and has said that he didn’t expect any movement between now and Thursday.
“There are no real developments and I’m confident that everybody is going to stay,” Dobson said.
“I’ve not had any indication of anyone wanting to leave… my feeling is that everybody is staying,” he added.
It is uncertain when the country’s professional teams will be back on the field as South Africa is still on level 4 of a nationwide lockdown. Players and staff across the country will be receiving pay cuts until then.